File-Based Storage Experts Make Recommendations to Reduce Migration-Related Downtime and Performance Issues
TEANECK, N.J. – September 17, 2013 – Data Dynamics, Inc., a leader in solutions for the discovery, reporting, migration, and management of file-based storage, today highlighted the Top 10 Challenges facing IT Professionals responsible for ensuring the migration of File- and Object-Based Storage (FOBS) from one storage system model to another as data volumes grow at an exponential rate.
Although the majority of file storage systems have come of age, there continues to be a hesitation in the adoption of these new technologies. The primary concern is the risk of migrating from legacy infrastructure to next generation platforms. Migrations continue to perplex enterprises as most end up over budget and far exceeding projected timeframes. Data Dynamics, a leader in the management and migration of file-based storage has identified the Top 10 challenges that impact organizations during these processes. These challenges include:
- Inability to manage outages during cutover between business units as prior migration experience has been less than satisfactory
- Lack of funding for the army of resources required to do scripting around traditional host based data movers
- Lack of automation, planning and pre-tested design leads to unexpected issues at time of execution
- Limited ability to move at all levels (volumes/qtrees/sharee/exports) with single software
- Optimization and restructuring not leveraged as part of the migration as team is too busy simply trying to move data from source to target
- Inability to move data across platforms without manual or scripted destination creation
- Limited data mover capabilities offer only single protocol support, either CIFS or NFS
- Status and aggregate reporting is “basic” at best, giving no visibility to business units or technology managers
- Abstraction-based solutions focused only on storage migrations are disruptive and difficult to substantiate
- The endless requirement to work on weekends reduces the implementation team’s ability to perform
According to market research firm International Data Corporation (IDC), “The worldwide file- and object-based storage (FOBS) market continues to gain momentum with revenues exceeding $23 billion in 2013 and forecast to reach $38 billion in 2017. Growth in the overall enterprise storage systems market can be traced directly to the shift to FOBS…Scale-out file- and object-based solutions – delivered either as software, virtual storage appliances, hardware appliances, or self-built for delivering cloud-based offerings – are forecast to show robust growth with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 24.5% from 2012 to 2017″ (International Data Corporation (IDC), Worldwide File- and Object-Based Storage 2013–2017 Forecast (IDC #242287)).
The management of unstructured data is one of the major unsolved problems for the enterprise. There has been a huge increase in the amount of information generated and shared by organizations in almost every industry and business sector. However, this unstructured data explosion has consumed huge amounts of expensive IT resources, both human and technological, and there is a need for tools that can be used to manage the movement of this data. Solutions that provide unstructured data management capabilities should include the ability to discover, view, report, assess, classify, migrate, move, and optimize the storage of unstructured file data between disparate enterprise storage solutions. Critical capabilities that address these challenges include:
- Discovery of unstructured file data across heterogeneous storage resources – This dramatically reduces the amount of effort storage administrators have to spend trying to gather information about what types of unstructured data they have, who has access to it, and when it was last accessed.
- Assessment and classification of unstructured file data – Leverage technologies with the ability to find unstructured file data and view it in a unified fashion using a central interface. This includes determining what unstructured file data should be moved or archived.
- Non-disruptive, project-based migration and movement – This allows storage administrators to create projects for discovered sets of file data and then move data sets to appropriate storage resources, whether moving data sets to new platforms or migrating entire projects or infrequently access files and shares to more cost-effective secondary storage.
- Policy-based management and storage optimization for unstructured file data – Assists storage administrators in setting file data migration policies to move files from one class of storage to another seamlessly, as well as identify what files can be deleted to reclaim storage capacity. Using a policy-based management approach, storage administrators can define what kind of information should be stored and where.
- Video: StorageX Phased Migration Overview
- Data Sheet: StorageX Platform
- Article: Adoption of New Storage Hardware: A Challenge and a Solution
“With the growth of file-based data increasing dramatically, the ability to quickly and efficiently migrate data from legacy storage to newer solutions typically results in better operational performance,” said Piyush Mehta, CEO, Data Dynamics. “Because of the challenges associated with enterprise IT storage migrations while implementing new systems to cope with storage growth, the requirement for technology to ensure optimal storage use while providing the highest level of uptime and performance is not a nice-to-have, but a must-have.”
To learn more about this topic, please view the following resources:
About the StorageX Platform
Acting as the engine behind Data Dynamics’ storage infrastructure management, unstructured file data management, and private cloud data management solutions, StorageX enables aggregation and centralized management of networked file storage. This makes it possible for storage professionals to add, consolidate, migrate, and failover Network Attached Storage (NAS) and Windows storage systems. The solution allows for data accessibility through the use of a unified data view, regardless of where the data is stored. Using an automated, policy-based storage management approach, StorageX maximizes business user data access and minimizes user downtime.
About Data Dynamics
Data Dynamics is a leader in solutions for the discovery, reporting, migration and management of file-based storage. Its award-winning StorageX product suite, which was originally developed by NuView, Inc. and later acquired by Brocade, has been adopted by hundreds of enterprise customers, Fortune 500 companies, and large municipal governments as a solution for the full lifecycle management of their file-based storage infrastructure. Today, Data Dynamics is focused on developing future generations of StorageX as the industry’s leading policy-based file data management solution. For more information, please visit www.datadynamicsinc.com.
The Ventana Group
Phone: (818) 332-6166