Effective file inventory tracking to optimize your resource usage
In corporate environments with large amounts of data storage and files distributed across multiple networks, keeping track of those files can be a difficult, costly task. IT organizations must understand what they have if they want to be able to efficiently use their storage resources.
Data Dynamics File Insight is a Windows-based utility that helps administrators quickly and easily track files in environments with Common Internet File System (CIFS) file shares and Network File System (NFS) exports. File Insight can scan those CIFS and NFS resources and provide summary data to help users understand their file environments, by answering the following types of questions:
- What percentage of my files have not changed in the past year?
- How many files have not been accessed in the past six months?
- Which types of files are the most common in my environment?
- Which types of files use the most space?
Specifically, File Insight provides the following data for a particular share or export:
- Number of directories
- Number of files
- Total file size
- Number of file types
- Minimum file size
- Maximum file size
- Average file size
- Number of files last accessed, created, or written to in a particular time span (from 0-30 days to more than 5 years)
- MB of data last accessed, created, or written to in a particular time span (from 0-30 days to more than 5 years)
- Number of files of each specific type
- Total size of all files of each specific type
- Average size of files of each specific type
Using this information, users can then optimize their storage-management strategies to utilize the resources they have in the most efficient way possible, reducing waste, clutter, and unnecessary expense.
Data Dynamics also offers the StorageX product, which can help with managing those files and resources, including migrating files from one resource to another, managing namespaces, and synchronizing data between multiple sites. For more information, see the StorageX Platform.