MANAGE YOUR DATA
Policy-based file data management
StorageX is an out-of-band, software-based storage management platform designed for enterprise file lifecycle management. StorageX simplifies the migration, consolidation, and archiving of file data in large, complex, multivendor file storage environments. StorageX also aggregates and centralizes the management of network file storage environments and streamlines workflows when adding, consolidating, or refreshing Network Attached Storage (NAS) and Windows storage systems.
The automated, policy-based approach to file storage management used by StorageX maximizes business user data access and minimizes cutover windows, user downtime, and other disruptions related to file storage rebalancing, migrations, consolidations, and tech refreshes.
New Features in StorageX 7.7
StorageX 7.7 has a number of useful new features, including the following:
- Improved file security management – StorageX allows you to automatically map SIDs from the source to the destination using one or more SID mapping rules. You can replace any SID in a CIFS security descriptor with any other SID, clean orphaned SIDS, and even translate SIDs across domains.
- Business impact planning and management – StorageX now provides a new Cutover Estimation tab. The Cutover Estimation tab allows you to plan cutover windows for one or more of your resources. The Cutover Estimation tab analyzes policies based on past incremental runs to determine if they will finish within your specified cutover window.
- Cluster-aware data mobility – For Data Movement policies and Migration Projects, StorageX now allows you to choose which nodes to utilize for reading and writing to and from clustered NetApp and EMC Isilon resources.
- Visual data mobility planning – StorageX now provides a graphical representation of upcoming scheduled items with the Calendar view. The StorageX Calendar provides daily, weekly, and monthly views of your scheduled actions that you can filter and group to identify any conflicts in your schedule.
- 64-bit architecture – StorageX applications, including the StorageX server, Console, Windows replication agent, FileInsight, LogViewerX, and the Support Site Kit, now run as 64-bit processes.
- Phased Migration policy import functionality – StorageX now lets you import one or more sets of sources and destinations to use for a Phased Migration from a comma-separated value (CSV)-format policy import file. This allows you to quickly create large numbers of policies when you know the sources and destinations you want to use.
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2014 – StorageX now supports installing the StorageX database in a Microsoft SQL Server 2014 environment.
- Agent load balancing in agent groups – StorageX now checks the availability of each agent in an agent group when you run a policy using that group and automatically assigns the policy to an agent that is not already overburdened.
StorageX is a proven solution. Over the last ten years, enterprise file storage teams have been using StorageX to help them in the following ways:
- Streamline tech refresh and migration planning – Move large sets of NAS devices using a project-based approach. Design projects, create source/destination mappings, and use a rules-based engine to analyze mappings and identify any conflicts and issues. Automatically create, or provision destinations and create migration policies that migrate CIFS and NFS data from sources to destinations. Preserve or modify permissions and file attributes automatically and programmatically as needed.
- Take the guesswork out of migrations – Use a simple, intuitive user interface with cross-platform views and numerous wizard and validation checks to quickly create migration projects and policies.
- Reduce cutover windows and migration risks – Manage the entire migration workflow, from initial analysis and design, to modeling and validation, to automated provisioning and file data migration, using a single solution and an automated, policy-based approach.
- Transform file data at aggregate and granular levels – During large NAS migrations or in response to just-in-time, on demand requests, restructure and archive file data as needed and ensure all CIFS shared folders, NFS exports, and file data security permissions and attributes are migrated correctly.
- Reduce storage costs – Identify folders that are candidates for migration to a lower-cost storage tier using criteria such as when files in a folder were last accessed, folder age, and folder size; automatically migrate or review and schedule file data migrations to a more cost-effective storage tier.
- Centralize and virtualize file sharing and file data management – Abstract physical file storage into logical, business-focused views meaningful to end-users using DFS technology. Reorganize views of file data based on business unit demands without changing the underlying physical data structure. During CIFS tech refreshes or rebalancing, streamline and automate CIFS migrations even further by automatically updating DFS namespaces during the migration.
- Create a unified storage view – View and manage multivendor storage systems and technologies from within a single graphical, intuitive console. Create custom views or folders to logically organize storage by type, project, business unit, or team. Numerous wizards help you easily perform file data migration and storage management tasks from within this central view.
Use StorageX capabilities in the following areas to help you more effectively manage your enterprise file storage environment: