- Optimize existing storage infrastructure with appropriate utilization of file and object storage applications
- Move data from file storage to object storage to reduce costs, enable higher capacities of usable data, and ensure pay-as-you-go pricing.
- Ensure intelligent data-driven migrations from file to object storage
The bank had a total cost of ownership of $80.72M for 57,679 TB of data on file storage and $13.46M for 26,393 TB of data on object storage.
They used only 53% of their total usable file storage and paid a surplus of $26.38M yearly for unused storage capacity.
The average cost of file storage per TB was $1,333, whereas it was $475 for object storage, i.e., 64% lower than file storage
Leveraging Data Dynamics’ Unstructured Data Management platform for:
Identification of data:
- Analyzing metadata to discover, classify, tag, and index data sets based on ownership, access, metadata, and content
- Content analytics for a single pane view of sensitive data, followed by quarantining high-risk sensitive data in secure storage with limited access
- Identifying files to move to low-cost object storage for long-term archival or cloud tiering
- Ensuring role-based access with intelligent file access control and file-repermissioning
Migration of data:
- Automated data migrations from file-to-object with object sizing feature
- Policy-based tiering (local and cloud)
- Intelligent data placement to ensure data is placed closest to the applications, meeting data governance and compliance requirements
- Unified data management during migration to maximize user access, minimize cutover windows, user downtime, and other disruptions.
- Automated access control and file security management
Data Dynamics’ unstructured data management platform helped the organization realize a cost saving of 79.2% in one year with intelligent data management.
For every TB moved to object storage, the bank could save $858 and increase total usable data capacity by 29%.
- Proactive analysis of data on an ongoing basis
- Policy-based ‘Intelligent’ tiering (local and cloud)
- Full transparency on the physical and logical location of data
- Avoid new hardware purchases
- Massive carbon reduction impact (ESG value addition)
- Large reduction in data center footprint